6.17.2011

Best Summer in years!

What I look forward to most about summer movies is the non stop action, over the top explosions, and "out of this world" graphics. But this summer, not only have I been impressed with all three, but the stories are legit and the performances have been f*cking phenomenal!

May I present to you TWO films this summer that have rocked my world...

X-MEN: FIRST CLASS
Let me first say that out of all the superhero movies, the X-Men franchise is by far my favorite. So you can only image how excited I was to see this movie...and it definitely exceeded my expectations! Casting the underrated Mr. James McAvoy as Professor X was the best thing the studio could have done, then adding the delicious Mr. Michael Fassbender as Magneto, only made the movie that more enjoyable to watch. The chemistry between the two actors was flawless! Though some may argue that the timeline of events isn't "accurate" to the comic book but to those people I say, WHO CARES!?! The movie kicked ass!

SUPER 8
Like the movie INCEPTION last year, it was so refreshing to see a movie that wasn't a sequel, wasn't a prequel, wasn't a remake and wasn't in 3D. Just an original, creative story...and this summer, that movie for me is SUPER 8! Also like "Inception," I went into this movie having no idea what it was about and no idea whether I was going to like it or not. And I actually like it that way. Walking into a movie with no expectations and then leaving having your mind completely blown! And J.J. Abrams did exactly that! But I can't give him all the credit, it was those fresh faced little kids that really took this movie and ran with it. Joel Courtney, Elle Fanning, Ryan Lee, Riley Griffiths, Zach Mills and Gabriel Basso I applaud you! What I loved most about this movie was the nostalgic feeling I got from watching it. It reminded me of the movies I used to watch with my brother when we were little. If I wasn't already obsessed with becoming a filmmaker, after seeing this movie I would definitely want to pick up a camera. I don't want to give the story away by mentioning my favorite parts, so if you haven't seen it...SEE IT...then we can talk ;)  

PS. They say Mr. Abrams is the next "Spielberg" and frankly, I couldn't agree more! If Mr. Spielberg wants to pass the torch, I can't think of a another director more qualified :)

No comments:

Post a Comment