11.10.2011

Hidden Gem: WARRIOR (my Best Picture front runner)

I know I'm making a pretty bold statement this early in award season, but when I know....I know. And after seeing Gavin O'Connor's WARRIOR, I knew that this film right here was my "Best Picture" front runner. There...I said it.

I can't even begin to explain to you why this movie was so brilliant...but I will. For starters, I can recall not being interested in seeing this movie when it first came out. I was like, why is this movie trying to be like "The Fighter/Rocky?" So now imagine how surprised I was to find out that The Wrap was screening it last week as part of their "Award Series" I thought there must be a reason Lionsgate is pushing this movie...so I went. Now let me tell you, I'm a person that doesn't mind being proven wrong when it comes to movies. Going into it, I already had it in my mind that this movie was going to just be okay but boy was I wrong. This movie left me speechless...literally. 

Starring Tom Hardy (Inception, The Dark Knight Rises) and Joel Edgerton (Animal Kingdom), the movie follows two brothers, both MMA fighters, on a path of finally confronting the forces that tore them apart, all in while wagging the most intense, winner-takes-all battle of their lives. Tom and Joel both give the performances of a lifetime! Physically and emotionally. Nick Nolte, who plays their recovered alcoholic father,  gives the most heartfelt and fearless performance of his career. 

This movie has real emotional resonance, vivid flawless performances and a story so powerful that I was blown away from its opening moments. I must say, that the true genius lies in the way Gavin O'Connor balances the violence of the fight scenes with tender moments of human weakness.

A MUST SEE!!!!!



PS. Mr. Hardy...thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment