3.07.2011

We're New Here

Gil Scott-Heron, the man who influenced everyone from Jazz musicians to hip hop superstars gets an electronic makeover. Jamie Smith of The XX took Scott-Heron's most recent album in 16 years "I'm New Here" released in 2010 and reproduced the hell out of it, giving it a dark almost haunting sound...and I kinda dig it...it's different, but it works at the same time. Mr. Scott-Heron is known for his aggressive, no-nonsense street poetry and for being one of the most important progenitors of rap music. I think it was a bold move for Jamie to tamper with the works of a legend, but at the same time I do think he did it justice. Give it a listen...



However, I say before you check out "We're New Here", you should listen to the original album first to really appreciate Mr. Scott-Heron's poetry.

 Then get familiar with his early more influential work. "Pieces of a Man" (1971) and "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" (1988)

No comments:

Post a Comment